scroll to top
Stuck on your essay?
Get ideas from this essay and see how your work stacks up
Word Count: 1,701
Part 1 The Country Report Jamaica is the largest of the island countries located in the West Indies With a population of approximately 27 million people the country is slightly diverse Most of the population 91 percent is primarily of African or mixed African-European origin descended from slaves brought to the island between the 17th and 19th centuries1 The minorities include East Indians Europeans and Chinese The country is half urban and half rural with the largest cities being Kingston the capital city Spanish Town and Montego Bay The population of these cities is one-third the entire population of the country Most people are Protestants with a combined 40 percent of the people being Catholic Jewish Muslim or Hindu Jamaicas economy revolves greatly around tourism the islands largest earner of income The Gross Domestic Product of this relatively developed country in US dollars for 2000 was 74 billion2 Of that tourism and its related services made up 62 percent Industry agriculture forestry and fishing rounded out the remaining 38 percent Jamaicas most important export crop is sugarcane from which rum and molasses are also made The nations other agricultural exports include the famed Blue Mountain coffee bananas citrus fruits ginger cocoa pimento and tobacco Most of these crops are grown on large plantations Small peasant farms produce some ginger bananas and sugarcane for export but mainly raise such subsistence crops as yams breadfruit and cassava Mining is another major source of wealth since large easily accessible deposits of bauxite were discovered in 1942 Jamaica has become one of the worlds leading suppliers of this ore Along with the alumina made from it bauxite accounts for almost half of Jamaicas foreign export Clothing is the primary export item of the manufacturing sector Jamaicas other industries mainly concentrated in the Kingston area include oil refining sugar and tobacco processing flour milling and the production of chemicals cement textiles and processed foods The US remains Jamaicas
@Kibin is a lifesaver for my essay right now!!
- Sandra Slivka, student @ UC Berkeley
Wow, this is the best essay help I've ever received!
- Camvu Pham, student @ U of M
If I'd known about @Kibin in college, I would have gotten much more sleep
- Jen Soust, alumni @ UCLA