scroll to top
Stuck on your essay?
Get ideas from this essay and see how your work stacks up
Word Count: 635
Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism found in the world today It has many serious effects and can be life threatening or debilitating in some cases If the proper precautions are taken then affected people can usually live fairly normal lives Achondroplasia affects about 1 out of every 15000 people born It is autosomal dominant and is caused by an abnormal gene located on chromosome 4 If one parent has the condition and the other does not with each pregnancy there is a 50 percent chance that each child will be affected If both parents have Achondroplasia there is a 50 percent chance that the child will inherit the condition a 25 percent chance that the child will not have it and a 25 percent chance that the child will receive one affected gene from each parent and be either stillborn or die soon after birth In most cases over 80 percent however Achondroplasia is not inherited but results from a new mutation change that occurred in the egg or sperm cell that formed the embryo In 1994 researchers identified the gene that causes Achondroplasia This discovery allowed the development of highly accurate prenatal tests that can diagnose or rule out Achondroplasia These tests are offered when both expectant parents have Achondroplasia The characteristics of Achondroplasia are apparent at birth The disorder causes several typical facial features such as having a large head with a prominent forehead The mid face is often small with a flat nose and narrow nasal passages The jaw tends to be small which can set the stage for dental crowding Ear infections are common and if left untreated can cause hearing damage or loss To prevent this ear tubes are appointed to those that are commonly affected Respiratory problems are common with infants and children Airway obstruction is either central or obstructive
@Kibin is a lifesaver for my essay right now!!
- Sandra Slivka, student @ UC Berkeley
Wow, this is the best essay help I've ever received!
- Camvu Pham, student @ U of M
If I'd known about @Kibin in college, I would have gotten much more sleep
- Jen Soust, alumni @ UCLA